Mobile Anti-Tank Gun
- Together with those guns that the Royal Navy made available for the Emergency Coastal Defence Programme, a number of smaller, four-inch and 6 pounder Hotchkiss guns were placed on mobile and static mountings to be used as anti-tank weapons.
- A number of the four-inch guns were mounted on 10-ton lorries and organised into three batteries of which two were allotted to Eastern Command.
- These guns were manned by personnel from Field and Medium artillery regiments who were without equipment after the withdrawal from France.
- In early July 1940 115 Field Regiment Royal Artillery, armed with six of these new mobile anti-tank guns, was assigned to this part of Suffolk. One gun was located to the west of Sallow Wood Covert to defend the two roads leading inland from Walberswick.
- The task of all six guns was to engage and destroy enemy tanks and to fall back in turn on positions already reconnoitred.
Mobile Anti-Tank Gun. The gun at Walberswick was given a specific anti-tank role (Imperial War Museum).